1. Keep Your EV Charger Protected
When you are not using your electric vehicle charger, you should keep it hidden away from prying eyes. This can easily be accomplished by covering the charging port with electrical tape, wrapping the plug with plastic wrap, or by purchasing a non-EV branded bag to place over.
If you don’t want to cover the entire charger, just make sure that its wires are covered to prevent someone from potentially snipping them off and that it’s installed somewhere a person couldn’t just walk past and spot it straight away.
2. Protect Your Charger’s Power Cord
If you have a long power cord, then you might want to consider taping it together at the end. You can use duct tape to do this, but if you don’t want to waste any resources, you can simply cut some electrical tape into strips and tie it around the power cord.
3. Use A Lockable Charger
A lockable charger is the best way to ensure that no unauthorized person can access your car’s battery while it is being charged. They come in many different styles and prices, but they all work in much the same way. All you need to do is place the charger inside of the trunk of your car, lock the lid, and then you’re done!
4. Investing In A Decent Padlock
A padlock has been an effective security device and visual deterrent to keep a number of valuable objects and property, and this efficacy extends to electric vehicle chargers.
According to EV Cable Shop, there are a number of ways a padlock can be used to secure your electric vehicle charger:
- Buy a plastic sleeved chain and pass it around the EV charging cables and the spokes of the wheel; then fit the padlock by passing it through the hole in the plastic sleeve and one end link of the chain, lock it and secure your EVSE.
- Use a long shackle padlock and pass it through the hole in the cable’s plug or in the trigger (Type 1 connectors have a hole for the lock) and protect it from the people with malicious intentions.
- Pass a bight loop of the EV charging cable through the padlock and spokes of the front wheel and simply close the padlock.
- Buy a cord lock and use it in combination with a padlock to secure the EVSE. Use the pivots of the cord lock to secure the EVSE and then protect the cord lock from stealing with a padlock.
Looking for EV Charging or Residential or Commercial Electrician in Huddersfield? Contact TRS Electrical now!